About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Savage Run by C.J. Box

9. – 568.) Savage Run by C.J. Box – Wyoming game warden, Joe Pickett, is pulled into the investigation of an amazing scene where an exploding cow has blown up environmental activist / eco-terrorist Stewie Woods and his new bride. Initially, Pickett accepts the theory that Stewie and his bride blew themselves up by mistake while engaged in a bizarre form of protest. Reporting the explosion to lawyer and rancher, Jim Finotta, who owned the deceased cattle Pickett is coldly received. (I hate a lawyer character who abuses his status and connections as a lawyer.) The actual killers, the Old Man and Charlie Tibbs, are engaged in a ambitious program against the environmental movement on behalf of the shadowy Cattlemen’s Trust, a rancher’s organization whose roots are deep in Wyoming’s history.
    There are complex political and social overtones without simplistic analysis for either side. Unlike most mystery heroes Pickett does not pursue the investigation of a killing that is not his responsibility. The personal connections of his wife, Marybeth, bring the investigation to him. As he seeks the truth Pickett is involved in an incredible wilderness chase that rivals that set in a car in any big city. Pickett follows the classic American theme of the lone Western lawman. If he had a mask and did not have a family the upright Pickett would be a current successor to the Lone Ranger. Adding interest Pickett’s family are integrated into the story.
     With the bad guys and good guy known from the start there is no mystery to finding the killers. The story leads up to how they will confront each other. There are well done twists. Box skilfully makes mountainous Wyoming and its history pivotal parts of the book. The story had to take place in Wyoming. It is a good but not a great book. I intend to continue reading the series but am behind about 8 years in the sequence. (Feb. 13/11)

No comments:

Post a Comment