About Me

My photo
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
I am a lawyer in Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada who enjoys reading, especially mysteries. Since 2000 I have been writing personal book reviews. This blog includes my reviews, information on and interviews with authors and descriptions of mystery bookstores I have visited. I strive to review all Saskatchewan mysteries. Other Canadian mysteries are listed under the Rest of Canada. As a lawyer I am always interested in legal mysteries. I have a separate page for legal mysteries. Occasionally my reviews of legal mysteries comment on the legal reality of the mystery. You can follow the progression of my favourite authors with up to 15 reviews. Each year I select my favourites in "Bill's Best of ----". As well as current reviews I am posting reviews from 2000 to 2011. Below my most recent couple of posts are the posts of Saskatchewan mysteries I have reviewed alphabetically by author. If you only want a sentence or two description of the book and my recommendation when deciding whether to read the book look at the bold portion of the review. If you would like to email me the link to my email is on the profile page.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Great Grey Cup Sunday

Grey Cup
In my last post I set out my induction into the Football Reporters of Canada wing of the Canadian Football Hall of Fame last Sunday morning.

In late afternoon I took the media bus to Taylor Field where the Grey Cup game, the championship of the Canadian Football League, was being contested between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Saskatchewan has hosted three Grey Cup games but this was the first time the home team, the Roughriders, had played for the Cup in their own Stadium.

My thoughts on the game are set out in the column I wrote which can be found on the Melfort Journal website at http://www.melfortjournal.com/2013/11/25/surreal-sunday.

The level of excitement in Saskatchewan over the Rider victory has never been matched in our history.

It has become a tradition, better described as a superstition, for professional football players not to touch the Grey Cup unless they have won the Championship. (The same tradition applies in hockey for the Stanley Cup.)

After winning the Cup it is a happy tradition for the winning team to drink from the Cup and the Riders were certainly following that tradition in their dressing room after the game.

As with most Canadian sports fans I believe having a cup for the winner is much better than the sculptures used as trophies by the NFL and Major League Baseball. Drinking from a Cup is far more a celebration than getting your photo taken holding the trophy.

The winter will not be as long in Saskatchewan with the Riders winning the Cup.

4 comments:

  1. Bill - Congratulations to the Riders! How exciting for all of you and I'm so glad you were able to see the game. There's nothing like seeing it in person is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margot: Thanks for the comment. It was exciting. You lose the emotion of the game when you just watch on T.V. Sitting in the stands with Jonathan watching the Riders win was very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, good for the Roughriders! I assume they drank champagne from the Cup. After victory in a major tournament, cricket teams often pop champagne and hose one another with it. What a waste!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prashant: They certainly did drink champagne from the Cup. I expect they sprayed more around the room than they drank. I missed most of the spray. Nothing fizzes better than champagne!

    ReplyDelete